Skip to main content

10 yrs of Marketing

Its been almost 2yrs since the last time I attempted to write a  blog.

I finally decided to take a break from writing captions for instagram posts to pen down my 10yrs journey as a Marketing professional. It won't be about what I achieved/learnt but instead a snippet of what stood out in each company I worked. This post is for posterity.


I grew up wanting to be an air hostess to a choreographer to a person who 'makes ads'. I was obsessed with advertisements as a kid, guess that was my 1st clue. I knew every ad by heart, the emotions it brought when it lit up the screen. Yes, I even loved being early at movie theatres to catch glimpse of those ads that 'creates desires'.

I took up MBA as a mean to escape the peer pressure of taking up contract IT job with a promise of moving abroad. I walked out of Wipro placement just before signing the contract. No regrets there!

My 1st job: Campus placement, summoned to interview for a salon. I was a rank student with 9.3 CGPA and scholarship( Still proud). I did roll my eyes at my placement officer when offered to interview, given I had made it clear, its pure marketing job only I would interview for & nothing else which has 'sales' as part of the profile (Insurance/Banking sector at its peak in hiring MBA grads)

Surprisingly my 1st interview & the only interaction/question my reporting manager asked was 'You need to maintain the virginity of the brand, are you up for it?' I said YES & got the job!
My 1st manager was a woman & she was fierce. I owe her for showing me what it takes to stand up to bullies or even operations (No pun intended).



Moving from beauty to coffee was all about obsessing over menu! True story, the most stressful part of job was ensuring the green dot next to a vegetarian item. What I learnt? Always be open to learning more about the company, become the indispensable asset, show what you are worth. Be larger than the system. To this date, this brand stands out as a highlight on my CV. It served the purpose!



The 3rd job was a career changer. Managing a team & being responsible to convince the stakeholders taught me well. The love for F&B industry took over & I got possessed. I still could pull off baking a cheese burst pizza in the kitchen.




Dream Job? Not so when you weren't a whisky drinker. I even refused to taste batches to give opinion on which batch should go for production. What I learnt? Present yourself everyday in a manner that you are walking in a Jimmy Choo & own the floor you walk, people will respect you for your confidence. My boss was a Meryl Streep version with compassion at times. Thanks to her I even discovered Prosecco *Clinks Glass*. Here is to those 3am calls on why logo in our TV commercial wasn't aligned to the border of the screen!



Feck it, its grand! The struggle with pronunciation is real. I still check with people & go 'Am I pronouncing it right?'  even when its not the 1st time I am meeting them. Go ahead, say Niamh (Got you! Its Neeve). Lucky me, with all woman department, I discovered my 1st Irish family to go to. I miss the spa breaks and Friday pizzas which compensated for the lack of marketing buzz/madness that I thrive on.



At a crossroad!  I will hold back on how énergie fitness brand/place/people impacted me till next time. 3yrs & counting, it deserves a separate post. Fingers crossed for a new beginning & another new experience.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Actually....

Its been a while since I started all over again on my prem kahani, however I still wish to pen it and publish the same some day. So all you guys who know will know the story below, memories are always cherished better when they are documented. "Ek Ladki thi deewani se, ek ladke pe woh marthi thi", very filmi but every girl dreams of having a love which resembles Yash Chopra movies for sure. I too dreamt, day and night, comparing every guy in the school and judging his qualities against the mushy romantic bollywood heroes. I even had a number of crushes, for a sole reason that either their hairstyle/life style/dressing sense/bike/accent matched one of the heroes. For example, a guy in 7th had Akshay Kumar looks so he was flirt worthy(Not that I flirted with him!!), a guy in High School resembled Vivan Bhatia and another one he wore glasses which Hrithik wore in Kaho naa pyar hai! But above a best friend is someone who you always look out for, So I too had one during my schoo...

Give it all

This post is very close to my heart. Initially I thought I should write about us, about women, about appreciating being a woman! However every time I post a pic or a staus, many like them, few comment on them and few even text me to say they are happy for me and  how perfect my life is. Well sorry to burst the bubble, my life has never been perfect. Yes, I have been on exotic holidays, moved abroad, dress up everyday as if I am will be walking on the ramp any moment. But, its not hunky dory life. Apart from my childhood, which I would say was no less than nightmares at times, it contributed to what I am today. No, I wouldn't discuss my trauma and attribute everything to it and cry my heart out. My hardship days as a kid was a reason I wanted to be a strong headed woman, yes I did attempt and I am still not sure if I ever could be tagged under that title. Before you start pitying, I should tell you guys that majority of my friends have been through a phase which would be term...

Dilli Dilwalon ki!

Well..This post was long due...I always had heard and believed that Dilli walahs are arrogant and proud as a Peacock! Probably because I loathe the fact that for every Delhite every south Indian is termed as a Madrasan! I had my first interaction with Delhi early last year. Thanks to my ex company..My 1st visit to Delhi, I anxiously wanted to explore the city, find out how people are, are they really Snobbish & arrogant? Thousand questions when you are travelling alone for the 1st time. I was excited, nervous and looking forward. Unfortunately my 1st visit dint allow me to even have a glimpse of Delhi and was spent in the boardroom..But made the visit memorable! I did make a fool of myself when I cried among the men as I was clueless about the happenings..Most embarrassing moment.. That short stay at Delhi, I was still trying to figure out what exactly people mean when they praise or abuse someone at the back. Just left confused. My recent few visits to Delhi ensured I ...