Skip to main content

Do you pray?

The thought of writing occurrs at weirdest places you can imagine. Today it occurred to me while I was in a flight heading to Bangalore

I had quite an experience to visit the Golden temple at amristsar (U can just take the scene from jab we met of missing train, chasing it with a cab and minus the joy of reaching the destination) anyways, talking about the urge to visit a temple has always been high in my life. 

Reading Eat Pray Love, thorough out my journey I realized how I reach out to god! For the past 2 weeks it has been quite a few good ones. Praying hasn't been difficult for me, it's imbibed into me as a kid(All thanks to the Brahmin family which I was born in, where day begins with mantra and jap) I am a god loving person, nevertheless a god fearing one too 

I once as a kid asked my grandma (I was 6-8yrs old) why people break coconut outside temple and never pick them up! She said it's an offering when God delivers what you asked for & Voila! I had a way to bribe god. 

I started testing the method with every thing I wanted to ask god, from finding my pencil box, school holiday, good marks, 1st rank, name it and I offered the god a coconut. Oh I worked on signs too.. Visit temple, ask God If I am doing right in terms of my decisions, would demand that the flowers falls off yeh shoulder of the idol and yes I wanted it from the right side shoulder of the Idol. 

People may find it absurd but I still follow it. The entire trip to Amritsar, where I kept ensuring myself that I need to visit the temple come what May failed. The train delay, missing the train, the cab guy who drove the car at 30kms on a highway all were the signs that I should give up, I dint! I wanted to fight the destiny.. It turned into a battle I wouldn't want to lose. But then who wins against destiny? I could never visit the temple.. 12000 kms of travel in a day and all I did was savoured the food served in shatabdi!

Talk to a Brahmin lady(Read the ones who are born in 60s and 70s) they have an explanation for every action on course of life.. Yes including why human have sex! Talking about visiting temples, my grandma always informed us that it's the Divine power or the Superior who decides to call you to see him.. U can never plan a pilgrimage, u get a call to visit! Simple translation: Bulava aaya hai! 

As a kid I feared god, I went through phases where I did not have answers to the questions of my own, I ran to temple! Cry, shout, question god and at last ask for signs. The struggle of mind and heart never ends.. Not sure what meditations is all about but one day dad turned and said Meditate! Pray to Rahu! And yes I feared I started with the jap of 108times chanting Rahu. The day I meditate I tackle life with confidence. 

Different people have different way of taking life as it comes, I do with the help of my own ways of God's presence. As a kid (8yrs) I only prayed for him to stay with me! I actually repeated over and over again: Stay with me 

Grew up, and I realized he can't stay with me all the time and my prayer changed to , Hold me while I cross the phase of life, when I am making a decision then let go of my hand to walk on my own. 

Now, I only pray to let him give me Peace. Peace of mind is all I want. Realized troubles are the consequences of my decision, it's the peace I need after I make decisions. 

Amritsar taught me how HIS decision works. I am educated that doesn't mean I don't believe in the superior power. This trip just enlightened my belief of destiny. The inner battle I fought over these 28years of life took a makeover, fresh appearances of the past only to make me realize that you need to be grateful for the present. 

So how do you pray?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Actually....

Its been a while since I started all over again on my prem kahani, however I still wish to pen it and publish the same some day. So all you guys who know will know the story below, memories are always cherished better when they are documented. "Ek Ladki thi deewani se, ek ladke pe woh marthi thi", very filmi but every girl dreams of having a love which resembles Yash Chopra movies for sure. I too dreamt, day and night, comparing every guy in the school and judging his qualities against the mushy romantic bollywood heroes. I even had a number of crushes, for a sole reason that either their hairstyle/life style/dressing sense/bike/accent matched one of the heroes. For example, a guy in 7th had Akshay Kumar looks so he was flirt worthy(Not that I flirted with him!!), a guy in High School resembled Vivan Bhatia and another one he wore glasses which Hrithik wore in Kaho naa pyar hai! But above a best friend is someone who you always look out for, So I too had one during my schoo

Floating Thoughts...

There are many instances which we want to revisit in Life. We do that by recalling memories, the same instances brings smile, tears & a satisfaction over what you have lived. In the journey of life, you make acquaintances, friendship, relationship, love, commitment & sacrifices, need not be in the same order though. But being an Arian, I always cherish the "Me" time, time with self. Introspection, just to ponder over thoughts which has been disturbing for a while. I have always been termed as selfish, I accept it with arrogance. Aren't we all the same. We need right people at the right time. I call few when I am low, whom I might never call to share the greatest joy (For joy we just look to the person next to us because no one regrets being a part of it). I do the same. On every yearly occasion, like New Year, Birthdays, Valentines Day, Anniversary I look back over the past and wonder how I have improved. Have I learnt the lesson of being dependent on people

Give it all

This post is very close to my heart. Initially I thought I should write about us, about women, about appreciating being a woman! However every time I post a pic or a staus, many like them, few comment on them and few even text me to say they are happy for me and  how perfect my life is. Well sorry to burst the bubble, my life has never been perfect. Yes, I have been on exotic holidays, moved abroad, dress up everyday as if I am will be walking on the ramp any moment. But, its not hunky dory life. Apart from my childhood, which I would say was no less than nightmares at times, it contributed to what I am today. No, I wouldn't discuss my trauma and attribute everything to it and cry my heart out. My hardship days as a kid was a reason I wanted to be a strong headed woman, yes I did attempt and I am still not sure if I ever could be tagged under that title. Before you start pitying, I should tell you guys that majority of my friends have been through a phase which would be term