Skip to main content

NRI..The Non-Repairable Indians

Hello there! Its about to be an year I moved to Dublin and fall into the category of so called NRI.

The other day someone asked me how can I be an NRI if its just been a year, they had assumed that an NRI would be someone who has gained the citizenship of other country! Thank god its not right and I still have a long way to go for it.

Let me tell you that as a kid I though the best part of NRI would be the access to different chocolates you would have. The moment I hit puberty, the bubble burst and I wished to never leave my country. It was time when girls were getting married and I was being nudged to find a suitor who qualifies as Software Engineer (The trend then). People were excited when cousins and distant relatives found suitors who were software engineers because they were prospective NRI relatives in the making.

Fortunately I did get married to a software engineer who has no ideas in pipeline to be an NRI! I was more than happy. A tad bit irritated every time someone asked if we are pursuing the companies which would give us the opportunity. We often discussed why all the fuss?

However as the world conspires into something you are not yet ready, we had to move to Dublin. The number of congratulations couldn't compete with the advises that followed. However everyone presented a rosy picture of moving abroad. The quality of life, quality of food and the impact on one's kids' upbringing!

I was more nervous than ever, other than giving up a career there were many things I wasn't prepared for. As feared I did not enjoy moving! Everything had to be learnt, many things had to be let go.

What irks me is a forward which went around, on how much you are being paid for each profession
in other countries compared to India. What they forgot is, I would pay 200 times the price for few stuff like coriander, I would end up paying 2000Rs for a one way cab ride to work, I pay Starbucks coffee rate at a coffee machine at work. I would pay my Indian annual salary for a month's rent to stay in 2 bedroom house. Or every doctor visit I would be paying 3000Rs for consultation

Few examples for those who assumed being paid in Dollars or Euros is a cake walk for leading a comfortable life or going on exotic family vacations or parents assuming the kids earns in foriegn currency so they can never have any concern on spending few lakhs every visit.

However there are few things you appreciate in moving away from India. The appreciation for small things in life, thankful for all those friends who did hang out with you every week back in India, the time you get to spend with your family without worrying about the traffic. (P.S applicable to the place I live), the nature which always surpises you with its beauty with every changing season.

The ultimate goal has to be making the best of what you have and where you live. Appreciate what the country has to offer in terms of living, because few countries might even restrict you on living at your terms.

Cheers!



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Actually....

Its been a while since I started all over again on my prem kahani, however I still wish to pen it and publish the same some day. So all you guys who know will know the story below, memories are always cherished better when they are documented. "Ek Ladki thi deewani se, ek ladke pe woh marthi thi", very filmi but every girl dreams of having a love which resembles Yash Chopra movies for sure. I too dreamt, day and night, comparing every guy in the school and judging his qualities against the mushy romantic bollywood heroes. I even had a number of crushes, for a sole reason that either their hairstyle/life style/dressing sense/bike/accent matched one of the heroes. For example, a guy in 7th had Akshay Kumar looks so he was flirt worthy(Not that I flirted with him!!), a guy in High School resembled Vivan Bhatia and another one he wore glasses which Hrithik wore in Kaho naa pyar hai! But above a best friend is someone who you always look out for, So I too had one during my schoo

Floating Thoughts...

There are many instances which we want to revisit in Life. We do that by recalling memories, the same instances brings smile, tears & a satisfaction over what you have lived. In the journey of life, you make acquaintances, friendship, relationship, love, commitment & sacrifices, need not be in the same order though. But being an Arian, I always cherish the "Me" time, time with self. Introspection, just to ponder over thoughts which has been disturbing for a while. I have always been termed as selfish, I accept it with arrogance. Aren't we all the same. We need right people at the right time. I call few when I am low, whom I might never call to share the greatest joy (For joy we just look to the person next to us because no one regrets being a part of it). I do the same. On every yearly occasion, like New Year, Birthdays, Valentines Day, Anniversary I look back over the past and wonder how I have improved. Have I learnt the lesson of being dependent on people

I am a WOMAN! So?

Just read few blogs on #NUDEPHOTOREVOLUTIONARY. Not that I keep myself abreast with the current happenings and News. Nevertheless I wouldnt mind what people are talking about. You can check a blog on the same HERE I wont talk about what Women are globally. I havent seen the world. Men who crib that Women are emotional fools, I wont completely disagree with them. But HEY we make our choices. Times when you know things are not right, you know a person is not trustworthy, you still go ahead and make your decisions. Peope tend to call them Rebel & Stubborn in nature. Definitely not. Its just the way of ensuring if your furture holds otherwise. When more than 2 Guys meet up and start discussing Women's ass, they are termed as cool. When 2 women do the same about a Guy, they start terming them as Bitches and point out to their upbringing. WTF! Its always the rules that Women cannot express, she has to abide by the rules of the Society, the same Society who Judges on what she we