Skip to main content

Social Media for Social acceptance or Otherwise?

The perspective of being active on Social media is different for each of us, for few it gets their Bread and Butter.

I recently took 8days break from the so called Social Media which includes facebook, whatsapp, twitter and so! And Voila! I loved every bit  of it. Doesnt mean I stopped socializing, I did but not virtually.

I went around with Friends for drinks, had a gala time with colleauges, loved the time spent with Family. I did that before too, but this time I dint have to reply to a tweet before clapping when my daughter danced, or send a heart emoticon for a pic at whatsapp while noticing how my husband needed my approval after he dressed up for a date!

Apart from the real life moments, the social media had taken over my so called Small Joys of life, which included smiling at random kids on road, buying roses for a little girl who pleaded you with a withered rose for 10 bucks or be the interesting conversation with the auto wallah on how stupid everyone on roads are except him. Because during these moments I worried more of people cribbing on twitter, or the silly fwds and quiz on whatsapp.

I am not saying we should let go of every Social Media to enjoy this, but we need to give these so called Social Media app a break to actually socialize. I never thought I would be advising as I couldnt breathe without whatsapp even for a second, if nothing I would browse through whatsaspp status.

I had my own issues to deal of staying away, people assumed they knew my life by reading my updates. The gossip mill and character assassination is common. In the struggle to shut myself out I realized I cherish the life I live whether it goes on social media or not, life is still normal.

I am hooked to Virtual friends however a break from even them is a welcoming change. Miss them? Call them! People love when you call them instead of whatsapping them, you know them better through voice rather than emoticons.

So I am game for it. Probably alternate weeks disconnect with Virtual world, make few calls and actually hear people out rather letting so called Social Media letting you socialize!

Would you try it too?

Comments

  1. Or just keep the phone aside when at work, and when spending time with family or friends. That is possible too, to keep social media active yet, give real life time. But at the end of the day, whatever works for each one of us, is fine.
    Me, as long as I keep getting, Sia's pix, you can go off social media as many times as you wish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sammy keeping phone aside work for few, for me it doesnt!I cant stop checking the phone..if no one pings then i check if internet is working or not?:P

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love Actually....

Its been a while since I started all over again on my prem kahani, however I still wish to pen it and publish the same some day. So all you guys who know will know the story below, memories are always cherished better when they are documented. "Ek Ladki thi deewani se, ek ladke pe woh marthi thi", very filmi but every girl dreams of having a love which resembles Yash Chopra movies for sure. I too dreamt, day and night, comparing every guy in the school and judging his qualities against the mushy romantic bollywood heroes. I even had a number of crushes, for a sole reason that either their hairstyle/life style/dressing sense/bike/accent matched one of the heroes. For example, a guy in 7th had Akshay Kumar looks so he was flirt worthy(Not that I flirted with him!!), a guy in High School resembled Vivan Bhatia and another one he wore glasses which Hrithik wore in Kaho naa pyar hai! But above a best friend is someone who you always look out for, So I too had one during my schoo

Floating Thoughts...

There are many instances which we want to revisit in Life. We do that by recalling memories, the same instances brings smile, tears & a satisfaction over what you have lived. In the journey of life, you make acquaintances, friendship, relationship, love, commitment & sacrifices, need not be in the same order though. But being an Arian, I always cherish the "Me" time, time with self. Introspection, just to ponder over thoughts which has been disturbing for a while. I have always been termed as selfish, I accept it with arrogance. Aren't we all the same. We need right people at the right time. I call few when I am low, whom I might never call to share the greatest joy (For joy we just look to the person next to us because no one regrets being a part of it). I do the same. On every yearly occasion, like New Year, Birthdays, Valentines Day, Anniversary I look back over the past and wonder how I have improved. Have I learnt the lesson of being dependent on people

Give it all

This post is very close to my heart. Initially I thought I should write about us, about women, about appreciating being a woman! However every time I post a pic or a staus, many like them, few comment on them and few even text me to say they are happy for me and  how perfect my life is. Well sorry to burst the bubble, my life has never been perfect. Yes, I have been on exotic holidays, moved abroad, dress up everyday as if I am will be walking on the ramp any moment. But, its not hunky dory life. Apart from my childhood, which I would say was no less than nightmares at times, it contributed to what I am today. No, I wouldn't discuss my trauma and attribute everything to it and cry my heart out. My hardship days as a kid was a reason I wanted to be a strong headed woman, yes I did attempt and I am still not sure if I ever could be tagged under that title. Before you start pitying, I should tell you guys that majority of my friends have been through a phase which would be term